Anyone interested in team play in PlayerUnderground's Battleground?

Squad

Slasher

Squad

Postby Slasher » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:56 pm

New game to look out for. Uses Unreal 4 engine so great graphics, once they get to that point in development, and huge maps. Check out the site and the video. Looks like a bigger, more cooperative Insurgency.

http://joinsquad.com/

https://youtu.be/LSfDHW6c7M0

Slasher

Re: Squad

Postby Slasher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 pm

I've seen a couple of you guys purchase this lately. How's it been?

Floyd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Floyd » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 pm

I haven't had a chance to play it much yet. I got a Steam gift card for Christmas, downloaded the game and then left town for a week. Still have to learn the controls....

Floyd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Floyd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Update.
I got brave last night and decided to join a MP server. Other than going to the firing range, one can't really do anything to learn the game by oneself. There was a lot of teamwork. The squad I joined was not the most knowledgeable or brilliant group of players, but they were all courteous and calm. I friendly fired upon two guys in two separate incidents. One I killed, the other I only wounded. Not once did either of them scream obscenities or get upset. I acknowledged my error and apologized. Both were very nice about it.

Teamwork is paramount. I still need to learn the different games and their parameters. I need to learn the map icons and how to work HUD controls. It is very difficult to see the enemy at range with the naked eye. Perhaps as I play more, I'll be better able to spot the enemy. There was some spawn base killing going on, but I think once other spawn areas are set up (by the SL?) that will not become an issue.

Still lots to learn.

Slasher

Postby Slasher » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks Floyd. I think I have a Steam card around that I will use to grab this. The guy that posted the original video, LevelCapGaming, has posted some other videos covering this game lately and he seems to be more and more impressed with it as time goes on. His last video talked about them getting vehicles and things like that along with 100+ person servers so if they could do this right it may be the next big thing.

It's funny you talk about your teammates not giving you any shit for killing them. I was talking to Jr. the other day and he started another multiplayer game, can't remember which on, and he was talking about how good their community was as far as team-kills and helping each other out. We normally play Battlefield or he plays CoD and it''s funny to hear him talk about all of the "squeakers" (little kids with squeaky voices that cuss and talk shit, or try to, to other players). :lol: While it is funny sometimes they get annoying after a while.

Floyd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Floyd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

I've been looking for a manual and think I've found one: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam ... 1450454625

If it looks promising and enough buy it, we'll have to try and get a group up to play as a squad.

MB42

Postby MB42 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Floyd wrote:I've been looking for a manual and think I've found one: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam ... 1450454625

63 pages! Holy Cow! I remember back in the day getting boxed games with 5 or 6 pages and I thought then that was a lot :o

Floyd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Floyd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Its not so bad. The manual that is. Lot of stuff that you don't need to read and can just skip over.

I played a good while this evening. Had a good time. The game is definitely still alpha and there are a few bugs. With a hot patch put out tonight there was the occasional 'invincibility" bug. The 12 year olds would whine about it and call the guys hackers, but there wasn't anything the affected player could do about it and often didn't know they were invincible.

Long story short, its pretty cool. Squad leaders can talk to other squad leaders and co-ordinate on these huge frigging maps. Rally points (forward spawns for your squad) can be placed by the SL's. SL's can also place Forward Operating Bases that the whole team can spawn on if they choose. So it pays to pick your spawn point carefully or it can be a loooonnnng walk (no vehicles yet). The radio spam can get a little much at times, but when the battles are raging, usually the squad is all business.

I see potential. Its the UE4 engine and not unlike RO2. Hard as HELL to see the enemy, but I'm learning. Friendly fire is ALWAYS on. Constant checking of the map ("m" key) is a must.

Join a populated server, pick a squad, announce that you are a noob and learning and you kind of get a free pass. If that squad gives you shit (and I haven't had one yet...in fact we cleared one server and moved to another and we all rejoined as a squad and led in that one as well), just leave that squad and join another. Lots of project reality guys playing. Ages ranging from 12 to 59......

Return to “Squad”